Classic Sloppy Joe with Chopped Spinach and Vidalia® Onions
These Shreked-out tasty creations have one thing in common, the sweet flavor of Vidalia® Onions. Best of all, these recipes are not only delicious but they’re good for you too!
- 1 large Sweet Vidalia® onion diced
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef chuck
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can tomato puree, (14.5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 C. chopped fresh spinach
- 4 hamburger rolls
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef, breaking apart pieces with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with 1 ½ t salt and ¼ t pepper. Add sweet Vidalia onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add pureed tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, Worcestershire, and 1 1/2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. Add chopped spinach just before serving and divide evenly among the buns.
Recipe created for Vidalia Onion Committee by Chef Todd Fisher, Salinas CA, cheftoddfisher.com