Storage & Handling
These premium sweet onions can bruise easily, so proper handling is important to ensure a high quality display.
Reduce Shrink with Proper Storage:
- Maintaining the right storage conditions for Vidalia onions will go a long way towards increasing shelf life and preventing shrink:
- Maintain storage temperature of 45 – 55 °F
- Provide 70 – 75% relative humidity with good air circulation
- Keep onions dry
To Prevent Bruising:
- Don’t throw, toss or drop bags or boxes
- Don’t stack bags over 5 feet high
- Carefully pile onions into the displays
- Don’t dump them into display bins
To Prevent Decay
- Remove onions that are bruised, cut or already rotting
- Keep onions dry and cool
- Rotate, rotate, rotate!
"- Joe Boris. Boris Photography, Atlanta.
Peru is a beautiful country to visit, but a “Vidalia” is a Vidalia. If they’re not home grown in Vidalia, onions just don’t taste the same."